The White Tower, the monument-symbol of Thessaloniki, which now stands lonely on the beach, in the past was the southeast tower of the fortification. According to travelers' descriptions and illustrations of the old city, the marine section of the wall, which was demolished in 1867, had three towers, of which the east was the White Tower, built at the exact point where it was meeting the east by the sea wall. The exact chronology is not known, but it is almost certain that it was built in the late 15th century. After the conquest of Thessaloniki by the Turks, and replaced an earlier Byzantine tower, which is reported by the Metropolitan of Thessaloniki Efstathios, the description of the siege city by the Normans in 1185. in its long history, the tower has changed names at times and uses. In the 18th century referred to as' 'Fortress of Kalamaria' ', while the 19th century as' Tower of Janissaries'' and '' Tower of Blood. '' The last two names are due to the fact that it was prison convicts and the appearance of vafotan with blood from the frequent executions of prisoners by the Janissaries. In 1890 a prisoner to gain freedom whitewashed with lime tower and then became the current name, '' White Tower '. After the liberation of Thessaloniki in 1912, the tower received at the Greek public and had occasionally various uses. During World War housed the center transfers the Allies, while in 1916 one of the first floor was used to store antiques sourced from archaeological activities of British forces in their zone of responsibility. Also used for air defense of the city and Meteorological Laboratory of the University of Thessaloniki. The last people were housed in the tower before the restoration were the Sea Scouts. At the beginning of the 20th century in the area around the tower housed the famous cafe and the 'Theater of the White Tower' ', demolished in 1954, to extend the park.